Monday, March 11, 2019

Here we go!

Ooh whee I haven't blogged in a very long time. I think it's time we got back in touch.

Back in the days before we could be a part of real time updates and 120 characters blogging was the the way I felt most comfortable communicating. Now it's time to return. Of course I am much older and will probably make a few mistakes, but at 46 I am beginning to learn how to embrace those quirky things about myself and give myself permission if sometimes I sound like a mom or even a grand mom.

What do I want to tell you?

I have been pulling myself away from things that I feel now to be unnecessary. For a long time now I have been fighting the sublimation into a consumerist lifestyle. I did think while working for advertising. Before that I worked for the banking, and before, in retail. My whole life has been a part of this machine. A cog working in unison with something I truly despise. I am not a philosopher or any kind of analyst. I only know what I know. I'm done. I don't want any part of it. If it means going broke, ( which I am sure it does) then so be it. This silent revolution I have been an active participant in for almost all my consuming years has been thrifting and bartering. My clothes have always been used, upcycled or trades. There are a few instances in which I must buy new things but I try to give them a life beyond my own use if possible. Beyond that I have enjoyed my experiences, the thrill of the hunt and the development of a style that is uniquely my own. This blog will be for sharing those experiences and hopefully encouraging others to do the same. I have read that we now have more mass produced clothing in this world in landfills then we have people to clothe. This is insane. Let's think of ways we can stop this waste for the sake of our world.

On the other side, I am a working poet. I decided to take a deeper plunge into the literary world recently as I have spent the last 25 years participating in local open mics and events I  have been published online and in print and have been a facilitator of many events and participant in many groups that celebrate and champion the works of performing poets.  This April my first book of poetry will be release by Mad Swirl Press. It has been an experience that has changed me. I feel as if my life is opening up to something new and amazing. Finally I have something concrete that I will be able to hold in my hand. This blog will also be a document to this experience and about the decisions I will be making to forward my career. It's all new to me. Let's see what happens.

So there it is. Vogue and Verbose. I hope you join me in everything that is new, and forgive me if I make any mistakes. What you can expect here will be updates on my thrifting experiences, tips and tricks and updates on new great finds. I also hope to bring other thrifters and fashion fans in for discussions and interviews, and maybe some environmental activists who can educate and illuminate us on any ideas for bettering our living spaces. I will also use this as a sounding board for new poems, essays, and processes for writing, getting published and any of the daily decisions that will need to be made to make my upcoming projects viable. I have almost 15 years of lit event planning under my belt and will share the process with you. Sometimes it can be daunting, but it always turns out great. Just like this blog will be. Thanks for joining me. Stay tuned for the further adventure of the Vogue and Verbose




No comments:

Post a Comment